Sunday, February 14, 2010

Washing Dishes

We don't have a working dishwasher, so we wash our dishes by hand. For the most part, I really don't mind. Emphasis on "for the most part."

The other night, it was a light homework night for the seventh-grader. It was gently suggested -- and then a little more strongly enforced -- that he help me with the dishes. At first, he wasn't happy about this. Who wants to help with dishes when there are Wii games to play or books to read?

What's nice about doing the dishes with someone is the chance to talk one on one. We always get the "report of the day" at dinner, but it was nice to have another chance to talk more specifically about what is happening at school. The kid loves social studies. I swear that he can't remember what I asked him to do five minutes ago, but he can remember facts he learned about Ohio three years ago in social studies. Go figure.

"So, what are you studying in social studies?" I asked. "The fall of the Roman Empire," he said. He proceeded to tell me all about failing family farms, cheap labor, falling prices, joblessness and economic crisis. Failing farms? Joblessnes? Economic crisis? Sounds a bit familar.

He put the last of the dishes away and I went to help the fourth-grader with her homework. I received a little peck on the cheek as he passed the homework table on his way to his room, ready to resume his reading.

I guess helping Mom with the dishes wasn't so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment